Monday, November 28, 2016

resources for online education

Whether you are looking to improve your web skills or your writing skills there are a lot of resources available online. You will find a lot of variation in pricing, policies, and processes. I thought I would share with you some of the resources I've used.

udemy:  This is the best of web sites, this is the worst of web sites. It is the worst because prices can vary wildly and because anyone can upload a course. It is the best because there some excellent courses by qualified instructors and because sale prices can be very good. The best advice is caveat  emptor: buyer beware. Pay close attention to the course ratings and wait for the course to be on sale.  I have taken some highly valuable courses on udemy. I used the techniques in Jonas Schmedtmann's responsive web design course to build my own site.

udacity: There are a lot of good things to say about udacity. Courses are developed by engineers at companies such as Google, IBM, and Amazon. They are free unless you enroll in a nanodegree program. The videos are professionally produced and include a dash of humor. Tests allow you to gauge what you have learned.

edX: edX is different from udemy and udacity in that courses start on specific dates rather than being on demand. Courses are provided by academic institutions worldwide and taught by instructors affiliated with those institutions. New lessons are made available on a regular basis. They are reasonably priced. I have only taken one course from edX, and that one was inferior in my mind to what I have taken from udemy and udacity. I may simply have taken the wrong course.

I would be remiss if I did not mention Lynda, now owned by LinkedIn. Lynda does have some very good courses, but the meter is always running. Lynda charges a flat monthly fee. If you take a lot of courses this could be a good thing. Otherwise, you have to be disciplined in your course-taking to avoid having your money go down the drain.

Whatever your preferences, there is an online education option for you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment